Monday, May 1, 2006

A Confession

Can I just say how terribly conflicted I've felt in recent weeks, rolling my eyes at The DaVinci Code billboards everywhere, scoffing at Tom Hanks' intolerable mullet haircut (WHO ALLOWED THAT?), annoyed by every media outlet hopping on the religious conspiracy bandwagons ("60 Minutes" did a segment on the Priory of Sion last night...) and yet still not being able to stifle my strange anticipation for the film, which premieres this month? I know I have friends out there -- reading this blog-- who will be ashamed and annoyed by my confession. I know the book has all the telltale markings of mainstream schlock, and yet, I humbly admit that I read it in one sitting (on a plane, mind you....I was sort of a captive audience. But still.) I feel like my degree in English literature should be revoked and stomped on for allowing myself to be sucked in to the hype. I can only hope I hate the film so that I can at last quit beating myself up and can feel some sense of cultural superiority again (imagined, not real, mind you....after all, this is the girl who told a good friend she'd go see "Stick It.") -- Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment